Wednesday, December 05, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Those who know me, know that Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love the music. I love the decor. I don't even mind being bombarded by it as soon as the stores clear away the school supplies in September. I'd just as soon celebrate it all year long. (This was Norah's "First Christmas" photo taken last year by Jenny...I LOVE it, it is one of my all-time favorites!)




But this year...I've had a little more trouble getting into the mood. While I normally have to twist Jason's arm and beg him to tote our enormous tree down from the attic, this year, he volunteered before I asked. (And I am not entirely sure I would have asked him to do it at all, had he not done so) Then, the tree stood bare in our living room for an entire week before we decorated it (again, Jason finally moved the ritual along, by suggesting that we do it together as a family).



Now that every thing's up, I have to admit, I'm loving it! Norah, of course, makes it the most fun. We've been working on the word "ornament" since Thanksgiving, and she has it down, pat. She had a blast helping us decorate the tree (which resulted in a single, VERY ornament-laden branch in the lower, center portion of our tree), and she's inherited her mommy's love of Christmas music. (Especially "Pah-rum-puh-puh-pum", which she almost always sings along to).

We've been reading "The Nativity Story" together nearly every night for a few weeks now, so it was really fun putting our nativity ornaments on the tree, and naming each one together as they went up ("Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus...")--and no, the penguin's not one of them, that is her ornament from Uncle Grant and Aunt Paige this year.

As Norah grows older and understands more, I am beginning to realize how special it will be to share the true meaning of the "Christmas Season" with her (and baby brother, too!). I'm so thankful that Jason has helped get me "jump started" into our family traditions, because I can tell it will be a real blessing to see Christmas through the eyes of my child. I think i would have gotten there on my own eventually...maybe...but right now, I have to admit 'priority one' weighing on my mind is nesting and preparing for Baby Brother's arrival. I'm glad that Jason's looking out for Norah, too, so I don't jip her out of Christmas this year.

3 comments:

Amy B. said...

Well it IS the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year and The Hap-Happiest Season of All" so Im glad you have your tree up.
And I think the Direct TV logo in the stocking picture adds a special touch. ;)

Anonymous said...

your tree looks great. i'm glad you got everything all decorated...hopefully mom's will be up by the time i come down there at christmas. ;)

Anonymous said...

Im so ashamed...mine is still in the box. :( I had plans Saturday to put it up but I got real sick. Maybe we can get it out tonight. What happened to Christmas after Halloween like in the good ole days? :)