Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Succumbing to Bluebonnet Peer Pressure

Monday night, N&E partook in the traditional, Texan, obligatory rite of passage known as the "Bluebonnet Photo Shoot."

We were lucky to have a field of bluebonnets very close to our house, so we avoided the lure of pulling over on the side of the highway and taking photos of two toddlers amid crazy, high speed traffic.


This photo made me laugh. I can think of so many of my sister and me from our childhood where one of us was laughing and the other crying. Here, Norah is just oozing sisterly sweetness, and all Eli can think is, "Get off me!"


This was my favorite shot of Eli by himself (read: he wasn't crying)














Truth be told, he didn't care much for the bluebonnets. (After a good month of pointing out the window, excitedly saying "Flah! Flah!" (Flower! Flower!) each time we drove down the waving sea of blue that is the bypass.) He found them to be prickly, itchy, and uncomfortable up close. I'm sure his affection for them will grow with time. I think all Texans, at some point, feel a sort of blissful contentment and peace at seeing the showy bluebonnets of spring. It smacks of "going home". One of those few, sacred things that, in spite of progress, politics, and time, still remains unchanged.

She looks so grown up to me in this picture!
















































This is one of my favorites...I'm not really sure why . Maybe because Eli just started walking and he's trying to hard to catch up with his big sister.




































This one made me laugh, too. Eli's expression cracks me up. Probably just wishing he was ANYWHERE else.













Next time, I think we'll go a little later in the evening. The sun was still a little bright, even at 7pm. I guess those 9pm summer sunsets are just around the corner!













Happy Spring!

8 comments:

kristi said...

Oh the cuteness!!! We always take a blanket because of allergies and junk.

Barb said...

Love the pics! We skipped out on the bluebonnet pictures this year, but I feel terribly guilty. Maybe next year. :)

Frances said...

They are both beautiful! and they are getting so big. I haven't seen Eli since he was a little little boy. They look so happy!

said...

Such cute pictures! They're getting so big!! Taking pictures in Bluebonnets was one of the first things I wanted to do when I had a baby. Luckily Aidan was about 10 months old when they bloomed for the first time after she was born. We didn't do the traffic thing either, really, we pulled off the main road in Brenham to a side road and took pictures by a barn so we weren't in danger of crazy drivers on Hwy 6 or 290!

Trae and Amanda said...

those pictures turned out precious! they are so sweet together! i dont blame eli...those bluebonnet pictures always itched me too! for the birds!

Allison Dean said...

I love these pictures Angela! So sweet! :)

Sara Nickson said...

What great pictures. Norah did look so grown up in that picture! I love the hugging pictures most.

momto3cubs said...

Beautiful! :)