Meet Mango. He has resided on Norah's bedside bookcase for the past 18-months (with the exception of a brief stint on the fireplace mantle after a near-death experience involving a curious little brother), and is the sole pet-resident of Robinson County.
I've been meaning to blog Mango's Fish Tale for about 18-months now (I figure my daughter's first pet is probably a significant memory that I should record), so please indulge me as I try to get these facts down before they slip from my mind forever.
It started out as a weekly, routine grocery shopping venture to Walmart. Eli was a freshly minted newborn, and Norah had just turned two. My mom had Norah in her cart (for those who don't know, I am incredibly
On this particular morning, we had drastically different lists, which sent us to opposite sides of the store, with the understanding that we would meet back up in produce when we had finished our "variety item" shopping. All went according to plan, except, as I neared the produce department, I caught sight of a glimmer that resembled water and fish scales, clutched beneath the death-grip of my two year-old's tiny hands.
"Please no!" I thought to myself. "Not a fish. Not a pet. I don't need any more responsibility (or mess) in my life right now. Not to mention, what I am supposed to do when this thing keels over in a couple of weeks? Norah's not ready to deal with death..."etc.
I'm sure my mother can attest to the disapproving look I gave her as I pulled my cart up beside hers and upon closer inspection confirmed what I had feared. Norah was, in fact holding a beta fish.
I believe the first words to leave my mouth were, "I hope that thing is gonna live at Mimi's house." To which Norah replied, "Momma, did you see my fish? He's pink and I love him, and I want to call him 'Mango'."
Pet-nazi or not, she had me. The name was perfect (and I thought pretty ingenious for a 2-year old, and Mimi confirmed that it was 100% her own invention), and her precise blend of sincerity and hopefulness was completely irresistible.
I picked up my phone and called Jason at work to see what he thought about adding another (small) mouth to feed to the Robinson family. He was (surprisingly) as apprehensive as I had initially been (What can I say, we are typical first-time parents...nervous about how even the tiniest decisions will impact our children), but after a brief discussion, we decided to bring Mango home.
And I must say, he's been a pleasure. He's very quiet, inexpensive, extremely low-maintenance, and easy on the eyes. He's survived a 3-story (bookcase) drop, and seems no worse for the wear. And Norah adores him. Sometimes she talks to him at night when she's lonely. (And occasionally, she relays important messages from Mango, such as "Mango thinks I look hungry and should have a snack" or "Mango doesn't really like this dress"). She loves to watch him swim, help me change his water, and especially to feed him. (she's very good about rationing his portions). And she can tell you all about him ("He is a Beta fish, also known as a "Siamese Fighting Fish, he likes to keep to himself and not swim near other fish..."etc.).
So, to all you fellow first-time parenting, slightly apprehensive, non-pet people, let me say that if you're looking for a good compromise, at least for us, beta fish are the way to go. (Granted, it hasn't stopped Norah from begging us for a puppy on a regular basis...but it is a small consolation that she still has a pet of her own) And who knows, maybe someday, when the kids are a little older, we'll try our hand at raising something larger...but for now, I think this level of responsibility and upkeep is JUST right for Norah.
1 comment:
norah is so pretty! i miss that cute little baby! where did she come up w/ the name 'mango' anyways??
Post a Comment