Monday, December 20, 2010

Norah's Art

It's been so long since I've updated, and I have TONS of photos to blog, so I figured I'd just jump in with a collection of Norah's sketches from this fall.

A few differences I've noticed in her artwork of late is that she has started thinking more about setting of the pictures (hence the grass under the princesses feet) 
This one is a "ballerina and her teacher" (this one was done after reading a few "Angelina Ballerina" books from the library--Angelina's ballet teacher always wears dresses with tiered ruffles, so I'm guessing the "teacher" in Norah's picture is the one in yellow on the right).  The faint square around them is the "stage".

 Two more ballerinas, again, on-stage.

Jesus on the cross (with Mary, his mother, below)


Norah and Eli playing catch (he's been wearing his hair "spiky" a lot lately, so she made sure to give him a few in her drawing)


This is one of my all-time favorites.  It is a jockey and a horse.  I love her attention to details (like the button on the top of the jockey's hat, and the bridle/reins on the horse...granted he's a little stocky, but still...)

She was very proud of this one.  If you can't tell, it is most of the cast from Toy Story 3.  L-R: Jesse, Woody, Bullseye, Barbie, Ken, and Buzz (Again, note the detail--Jesse's cow-print chaps, all of the colored lights and buttons on the front of Buzz's spacesuit, etc).  She worked on it for quite a while, finally dedicating her masterpiece to her Daddy (as you can see in the upper left corner).   As soon as he came home from work, she presented him with her art, and of course he praised it highly, immediately recognizing what/who it was a depiction of.  Not long after that, N was sent to her room (if memory serves, for having a bad attitude at the dinner table.  

After some time passed, I went in to check on her, to find her hard at work on this... While I knew it was done in total defiance, I was slightly amused at the facts that 1) She spelled everything right all by herself, 2) The worst possible "retaliation" she could think of for Jason's sending her to her room was to stop drawing pictures for him.  So funny.  And yet, the parent in me had to focus on the heart of the matter...or should I say the attitude behind it.  The same bad attitude that had gotten her in trouble at the dinner table.  We had a good talk.  And she quickly admitted that she liked drawing pictures for us and didn't really want to stop, and believe me, she hasn't!  

1 comment:

Irma and Koby said...

Way to go Norah! She is really talented! I don't think I could do any better!
And I laughed out loud about her note to Jason, what goes on in their little heads is quite humorous sometimes. :)