Thursday, March 22, 2007

13 of My Favorite Things...This Week

Can you think of any random things that you just like for no reason? Things that are treasures to you, but may not seem extraordinary to anyone else? This week's 13 is devoted to a few such things that have made my "likes" list, whether for practicality, frivolousness, and in some cases, just because.


  1. Stationary. I am a major stationary junkie. I love anything personalized-- from initials, to photo cards, but I also like simple, pretty cards from Walmart. I have an old-fashioned wax seal with our family initial on it, as well as a fancy return address stamp and I love using both. Part of me feels special because I still enjoy corresponding the "old fashioned" way, by post. And part of me likes to make others feel special when they get something in their mailbox that is more personal than a credit card offer or the weekly grocery circulars. (Am I the only one who gets a little excited when I receive an actual, hand-addressed letter in my mailbox?)
  2. Sippy Cup Name Bands. My good buddy, Jenny introduced these to me. (Available at inchbug.com) They are reminiscent of the bright yellow "Live Strong"-type wrist bands that Lance Armstrong made popular a few years back, only these fit on your child's sippy cup and have their name stamped on them, and you can choose your color. (Ok, so I'm noticing a theme here...I like things with our name on them!) They are great for when you drop your child off in the church nursery so their sippy doesn't get mixed up with anyone else's. (Ok, so masking tape and a marker would do the same thing...but they are dishwasher-safe, so you never have to take them off if you don't want to, and they really are cute)
  3. Postage Stamps. I love stamps. I can't go in the post office without buying at least one book. I love to see what new specialty stamps are out every time I go. It is so much more fun for me to have "cute" stamps that you can only get at the post office. (I think its the part of me that wants the recipient of my letter to feel "special" that they got a neat-looking stamp...even though they may not notice) My all-time favorites were the children's book stamps that were out last spring. They had everything from "The Hungry Caterpillar", to "Curious George", to "Where the Wild Things Are". I stocked up so I could send them out on Norah's birthday party invitations.
  4. Church Hymnals. There is something truly special, to me, about old hymnals. I have 5 in my personal collection, several of which are as old as dirt. I love to thumb through them and see how many songs I can find that I know, and am often remembered of some that were long-forgotten in my memory, but bring back memories of my childhood. Maybe these books hold such a special place in my heart because I love to sing, and these represent the "musical training" of my youth. But, for whatever reason, they are some of my prized posessions.
  5. Flowers. Receiving them is nice...but I'd really prefer the kind that grow in the ground. It is such a fun surprise when they poke through the ground and even more exciting when they bloom for the first time. This week got a few bulbs to plant that will (hopefully) bloom this summer. I can't wait!
  6. Sewing Notions. From seam rippers, to pins with brightly colored heads, to spools of thread, ribbon, and buttons--I love them all, and I love having a "stash" in my sewing room.
  7. Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids. In truth, I've ordered very little from them, but I love their style, and they are fantastic "inspiration" material.
  8. Disney Movies. Jason and I have a pretty big dvd collection, and a large chunk of it is dedicated to Disney. Even before we had thoughts of kids, we started buying the classics I mean, with that crazy Disney Vault, who knows when they'll be available again, right? (And yes, that is total sarcasm, I am fully aware that I have fallen prey to a marketing scheme, and I don't even feel violated) Norah's favorite, to date, is "Lady & the Tramp". Go figure. The girl loves puppies.
  9. Socks. This is one of my less-practical fetishes, because anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I wear flip flops as often as I possibly can. But, for the couple of cooler months we have, I do enjoy having fun socks to wear to help me make it through my flip flop withdrawal.
  10. Rubbermaid Containers. I can never have too many. I even ask for them every year for Christmas! I just love being able to organize my many messes into the confines of a clear, plastic box, where I will hopefully be able to find them the next time they're needed.
  11. www.irs.gov. No, seriously. I went there last week and was greeted with a wealth of good information. PLUS, I linked from there to a free Turbo Tax site, which walked me through preparing my taxes online and even free e-filing. Not to mention, thanks to Norah, we are getting our first return in over 5 years!
  12. Children's Books. Norah is only 14 months, but she has a huge library! This is due, in my opinion, to several factors. A--She is spoiled by her grandma, B--I sell Usborne Books, and C--I have a not-so-secret love for children's literature and have been collecting it for years. I feel like I've been waiting my entire life to share my love of these books with my own little one, and now I am living my dream. It is so much more fulfilling (and less awkward) to pour over "Goodnight, Moon" with a child in your lap! I can't wait to introduce her to Graeme Base and Chris Van Allsburg! I hope that she'll grow up to enjoy books (grown up ones too, not just the ones with amazing pictures) as much as I do!
  13. Martha Stewart Living. I don't profess to be a huge Martha (the woman) fan. But her magazine and website have some of the greatest ideas! I found my inspiration from Norah's first birthday party at MarthaStewart.com, in addition to how to tastefully hang my door wreath, plan a cookie swap, and prepare a 12-course dinner for 8 with no more than water, rosemary leaves, and some twine. (Ok, maybe I made that last one up...but I really do use her ideas all the time!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey we have "inchbug" sippie cup name bands too! The lady who owns the company is from Friendswood!

Me said...

Okay, so does that fetish mean you'd like a little more or that you already have too many? I personally can identify with a few of your fetishes...especially the book one and the sewing one is beginning to come in a close second. I'd love to send you a selection of the threads we got because it will be when Emma graduates from high school that I even come close to running out. Interested?