Friday, May 04, 2007

Its About Time (for an Update)


Despite my lack of updates, lots has been going on in Robinson County.

I snapped these first two pictures of Norah this morning when she told me she was awake. The first one is just of her reading a book in bed. The second I took when I busted her "reprogramming" her noisemaker. (She is so proud that she knows how to change the noises and turn on/off the light by herself) Her current morning routine is pretty comical. She lies quietly in her room, amusing herself, until she hears Jason and I making our "morning noises", then she lets us know she's up too by shouting "Hi!" (She does this at nap time, too...and it still makes me laugh every time) I think its safe to say she's a morning person (sorry, AA, I think we all know she didn't get this trait from you--but you have come a long way!)

Last night, I made Totino's pizza for the first time in probably 6 years. (For those unfamiliar with this culinary masterpiece, its a tiny frozen pizza that usually retails for about 98 cents, is swimming in grease, and makes a great newlywed/college student staple) We decided Norah could give it a try, too, so we cut her a tiny piece. She began her feast by methodically chewing off all of the toppings, leaving the crust fully in tact. Then, she proceeded to attempt (with surprising success) to "drink" the remaining crust. I know this sounds impossible, but I assure you, Jason and I were there as her witnesses. She held the pizza up to her lips, and made a sound, very similar to the smacking of a pacifier. After about 10 minutes, the pizza was gone. Amazing. Leave it to our little genius to reinvent a way to eat one of America's favorite foods.

Norah is babbling up a storm. She will repeat just about any word you say to her. We also work with picture flashcards a little each day, just to continue building her vocabulary. A couple of them she's learned to read without the picture (one side has pictures, one is just the word). Of course, "Dog" was the first one we discovered she could read. That girl loves dogs. Jason and I thought we would never have another dog (after our last experience with Tito and Sully--who dug up our luscious grass in the backyard, escaped under the fence, and had to be bailed out of the pound so many times that we'd paid more in bail than we had paid to purchase them in the first place), but I caught Jason telling Norah the other day, "Someday you'll have a doggy of your own".

Other words she's into lately: owl, turtle, car, purple, (her most common reply to what color any given object is--regardless of actual color...I blame this on myself for praising her too enthusiastically when she correctly identified the "purple" flashcard), butterfly (or "fly" as she says it),bird, goat (which sounds a lot like "dough"), pray, please, thank you, strawberry, apple, banana, grape, cheese, bread, milk, waffle ("fah-fell"), no more, all gone, head, eyes, feet, toes, nose, and belly (she's BIG into singing "Head Shoulders, Knees, and Toes right now--granted, she doesn't actually sing it verbatim--she definitely tries).

She doesn't just speak English though. I found out today, Norah is bilingual...at least to a 3-year old. I was driving with Norah, and her 3-year-old pal, Nathan, in the backseat. Norah started jibber-jabbering, "Aba Labba, Labba, Labba", and Nathan made a disapproving face and said, "Angela! Is Norah speakin' Spanish?!" I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard!

I've been busy with cakes the past few weeks. Here is one I finished today. (It matches the invitations to the shower it is for) I have to admit, it was a little fun to work with a color palette that didn't involve only pink and purple...but I do still enjoy the princess and diva birthday cakes.


I've also been hard at work on Norah's quilt. I'm to the quilting stage, and have finished 16 of 24 blocks. I've been pacing myself to finish one per day (usually in the evenings after Norah is asleep), so I hope to be completely finished in 2 weeks or less. I'm really happy with how its turning out.

Well, that about catches you up with what's been going on around here (Oh, and in case you're wondering about Jason...he's pretty much obsessed with disc golf these days). Hopefully I'll update a little more often, but no promises until the quilt's done!

3 comments:

Me said...

That cake looks so cute! You are so good at that. I can't wait to see the quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love Totinos Pizza! They seem so cheapy but they taste so good!

And what a gorgeous cake! It's too pretty to eat!

Kailani
An Island Life

Anonymous said...

Cute little baby. i think that is my favorite cake i've seen so far! that's really cool.