Today was a fun day. Norah and I headed over to Grammy's house bright and early to tackle a new sewing project. Grammy and I had been looking forward to this project ever since we read about it on House on Hill Road.As you may recall, a few weeks ago I made Norah a 4th of July dress from pre-shirred fabric. Well, that was easy enough, but I was limited to the 3-4 pre-shirred fabric selections offered in the store...and that just wasn't enough. Enter House on Hill Road. Erin offered a step-by-step tutorial (with awesome pictures) explaining how to make a shirred dress or top from regular fabric.
The scariest part was using elastic thread for the first time--which turned out to sew incredibly smooth, and gave us nothing to worry about!
The top went together in just a few hours (thanks to Mom's help, and Norah's cooperation) and I was tickled pink at how it turned out. We actually made this one for Norah's friend, Patti, who lovingly handed down tons of clothes to Norah, but their measurements are very close, so I was able to have Norah model it for me so I could be sure it would fit. (Don't worry, I would never leave Norah out--a shirt for her is next on my list!)
Here is the finished product. It's amazing how big it started out, vs. how tiny it finished up...but it stretches nicely and fits well. Norah really seemed to enjoy wearing it, too...let's hope Patti has similar taste in clothes!
Grammy and I were so proud of Norah for being so patient and entertaining herself while we sewed today. She was especially fascinated with Grammy's thread collection, attempting to name the colors of each spool she saw. (Of course right now, everything is initially "blue", but as soon as we would tell her the correct color, she would begin calling it the right thing).Thanks so much to Erin, at House on Hill Road for being a source of inspiration. I've got 2 more projects lined up and I'm enjoying sewing more than I have in a while!
6 comments:
Wow, ange that top turned out great! I'm impressed...can I be next after norah?? ;)
miss u!!
I am inspired! I have been wanting to sew for weeks now and have not taken the time to do so. I have pattern, material and everything else ready. Tuesday is my day to just sew....Thanks for the news. The top is too cute. Y'all did an awesome job!
:) Thanks for the compliments--it was really a fun one to sew. And yes, Amanda, you can be next as soon as I finish Norah's...but you'd better pick the fabric, I'd hate to make you a fashion disaster.
Love the top. Wasn't it so easy to make? I love Aidan's. I plan on making more.
I've recently seen those type of projects in the fabric stores. I wasn't sure what it would look like once it was finished but yours looks darling! Great job!
Sooo incredibly cute...do you do maternity tops?? :)
Hope to catch up soon!
Post a Comment