Monday, July 09, 2007

Twirly Skirt Alert

Today, I tried my hand at another House on Hill Road tutorial, resulting in the outfit at left. The skirt fabric is not something I would normally have chosen, but Norah really does love strawberries, so I thought she'd like it...and I was right. Norah loves her "berries" shirt and matching skirt.

The skirt is made from the "Twirly Skirt Tutorial" on House on Hill Road, and it is called a "twirly skirt" for good reason! Talk about full--it's perfect for spinning! The t-shirt was one I picked up on clearance at Walmart, then appliquéd the strawberries on to dress it up a little. It was a lot of fun, super cheap, and didn't take long at all. I definitely plan to make a few more.





I haven't decided yet what my next sewing project will be, but I have learned that Norah is way more fun to sew for than myself! She really seems to love wearing the things she's watched me work on--and that is such a good feeling. She was the same way about the quilt I made for her. Any time I take it out, she loves to dance, spin, lie down, and roll around on it.



One non-sewing related bit of news I want to chronicle is Norah's increasing ability to repeat and recall things she hears. In Bible Class, there is a song the teacher sings , during which she has a child figurine "run" toward a mommy figurine, while singing "I'm happy to obey, I'm happy to obey. I'll come quickly when Mommy calls. I'm happy to obey." Last night I was bathing Norah, and she found two of her tub toys--hippos that stand upright, and she started the smaller hippo out "running" toward the larger one, while singing, "Bay! Bay! Happy!" I had to laugh because I knew exactly what she was talking about. I've also noticed that if I call Norah and she isn't coming as fast as I'd like, I can sing "I'm Happy to Obey" and she comes running. Anyone who says toddlers are "don't really get anything from Bible Class" should visit our house. I beg to differ.

5 comments:

Perks said...

Very cute! I love it! I'll have to add that one (and the shirt) to my project list!

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest outfit i have ever seen in my entire life!! You should really start a business. Way to go ange! Too bad I didn't get that sewing Shelby gene. ;)

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love the way you can just make things happen for her wardrobe. How lucky she is that she will have hand made things that will always be special to her. I enjoy sewing and have such fond memories of learning with my mom and my grandmother...

said...

That skirt is my next project, as soon as we get back to Georgia. I'm glad Norah loves it. Aidan loves to turn round and round so I bet she'll love it too. See you this weekend!

Stephanie said...

Love the outfit! It is just too cute!