Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recap of AA & Uncle Trae's Wedding

I survived the wedding almost completely unscathed! I say "almost" because I am still dealing with post-wedding bustle insomnia. I guess my body is still conditioned to the late-night demands it was functioning with last week (I don't think I went to bed before 2am all week long...which is not normal for me!) So, since I'm awake at 2:30am and blogging generally wears me out, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by filling everyone in on the events of the weekend.

First off, it would be an understatement to say that my sister looked breath-taking...but anyone who knows her wont find that at all hard to believe.
The cake turned out better than I had hoped (thanks to some help from my good friend, and former cake decorating partner in crime, Katy Garner). Mom G helped me hand-roll homemade marshmallow fondant pearls earlier in the week (the rest of the cake is iced in buttercream), Mom R and Grandmother watched both kids all day Thursday while I baked and decorated the cakes (making good use of all 4 ovens in the church kitchen, which, as a bonus, meant I didn't have to move the cake after it was decorated!)

And in case you're curious, I wasn't in the least bit bothered by watching it be hacked to bits and served on plates. It thrilled me to watch people eat it and smile.

Norah has now officially joined the ranks as a veteran flower girl. She bonded almost immediately with Trae's cousins' daughter (an 8-time flower girl vet, herself), and Keri took her under her wing.

AA put her foot down and insisted that N have her hair in her "trademark" pigtails. (Which I was thankful for, because when her hair was styled like Keri's, she really didn't look like herself, at all!)

I got so choked up when N walked down the aisle calm as a cucumber, dropping petals (mostly one at a time...at a MUCH slower pace than Keri, but it was sweet). For being just 2 and a half, I thought she was beautiful, brave, and did a great job. Thanks to a suggestion by my cousin, Melissa, we put fruit snacks and candy in the bottom of her basket, so that when she reached the front of the chapel she could just sit down and eat them. This worked great for a few minutes, but I guess Foree's ceremony made her drowsy because she eventually laid out on the stage, on her stomach, spread-eagle, resulting in a hasty retrieval by Aunt Paige. (And I'll add, I was SO thankful that N's reaction to Paige's nabbing her was a whispered, "Hi, Aunt Paige!" and not a scream of protest like I had feared it would be) (The two cute girls on the left are Trae's twin nieces, Abbie and Gracie, who are three months older than N)




Even Eli got decked out for the wedding. His necktie (which cost a whopping $1.99 at the Children's Place outlet) was a big hit with all the ladies. (And let me tell you, he worked it--- little charmer that he is!)He even conned one lady into slipping him some cake! (By the way, the flurry of white in the lower right of the photo is Norah fleeing the scene.)




E was very aggreable about having his pictures taken (I got the feeling he knew he was the cat's meow)





Note: Eli's Daddy looks equally dashing in a necktie (and since that is a rare occurrence, I made sure to take a few photos!)

All-in-all, it was a great weekend. We're thrilled for Amanda and Trae as they start their new lives together and were thankful to be a part of their celebration.

9 comments:

Sara Nickson said...

great pic of you and j!

Perks said...

Great pictures...especially the one of you and Jason. You need to frame it and put it somewhere you'll see it everyday! Very sweet!

Me said...

You and your smooch sure make a good lookin' couple! Now get some much needed sleep!

erin said...

When I saw the words "wedding bustle insomnia," I thought you were really worried about the responsibility of bustling the dress. OK, I get it now.

I loved the story about Norah. I was looking through Bonnie's scrapbook the other day and there she was as a baby in cradle roll. How time passes.

The Celiac Diva said...

You LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!! What a special time. Love the pics, thanks for sharing! And your children's pics are SOOO cute!

Anonymous said...

You look amazing! I so wish we could have made it! Amanda looked so beautiful as always! And the cake is so great! You are soooo talented!

Meg Knight said...

Amanda did look stunning! Of course. Her sister was looking pretty hot herself! And those kids! Precious! I absolutely LOVE the tie! Fabulous.

Trae and Amanda said...

I love you sis...I cannot put to words how thankful I am for all that you did for us. Those are great pictures! You really should frame the one of you and J...you look gorgeous!! oh, and my cake is he most beautiful cake i have ever seen in my life!! :)
miss you!!
-manda

Kara said...

You look so beautiful! And I have to say that you have an amazing talent for cakes. Where do you get all your ideas? We need to talk! :) I loved looking at all of them!