Thursday, October 08, 2009

From the Mouthes of Babes... Lunchbox Edition

A: What sounds good for lunch today?
N: Girl Cheese!
A: Eli, do you want a grilled cheese like Norah?
N: No! Mommy! Eli can't have a GIRL cheese because he's a boy.
(to Eli, almost as if apologizing for my thoughtless oversight of his masculinity). It's ok, buddy, would you like Mommy to make you a boy cheese?
E: (feigning deliberation for Norah's sake...he doesn't care what he eats as long as it's ready soon) Ummm....Oh-tay!

(And I apologize for those who already read Denise's very similar quote from Isaiah, but I really did have this in draft to publish today, too)

When they get to the table where their sippy cups are waiting, I hear Norah turn to Eli and say, "Ok. Ready for Scumps?" I look up, and they are enthusiastically toasting each other. I'll admit they may have seen Sleeping Beauty one too many times. I'm just a little embarrassed that the "drinking song" is one of their favorite parts of the movie. Oh well, at least they still think it's juice.

Not five minutes later, I was in the kitchen, finishing making sandwiches when I heard Eli Sneeze...
N: Bless you.
E: Tay koo.
N: You're welcome.
It warmed my heart to hear them using their manners when I wasn't in the room with them. Then, during lunch, our conversation shifted to one that made me smile even more.

N: Momma, how come the pockets with my shoes used to be on Eli's bedroom door?
A: Don't you remember when the nursery was your room, sweetie?
N: Oh yeah. But, where did Eli sleep when I slept in his room?
A: Eli hadn't been born yet.
(Look of confusion from N)
A:(trying an alternate wording): Eli was still in Mommy's tummy.
N: Oh yeah. Mommy, I loved it when I was in your tummy.
A: Really? Tell me about it?
N: It was so nice and cozy. It was like.....heaven!

There are days when lunches sans adult conversation are messy, obnoxious, and a test of my patience...but all in all, I know I'm blessed to have lunch with my sweet, little buddies on a daily basis.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Aawww!!! How sweet, di you just melt when she said that? :)

Anonymous said...

Cute! I am always telling Bella to use her "inside voice" only she hears "inside boys" and replies, "No Mommy...inside GIRLS! I'm a GIRRRLLLL!" :)

said...

Drinking song in Sleeping Beauty? I've heard that movie in the car and from upstairs about a thousand times and I don't remember a drinking song unless it's when the kings are talking (but I thought they got into a fight). Is it the Disney version or another? Maybe it's The Little Mermaid?

Valerie said...

Ang, your kids say the cutest things. I look forward to those days with RJ. Their quotes made me laugh out loud. :)
Hope you're feeling better this week after that nasty flu.