In keeping with our routine "school" activities , I decided to try a color-sorting project with Norah (which obviously didn't include N's outfit of choice, and while "mismatched tutu layering" isn't a dress code requirement in my school, it's certainly not frowned upon, either). I'll admit, half of the draw for the project was knowing that Norah's well-loved, over-used (if that is possible) books would get a good straightening.So, I set her to work emptying all of her books onto the floor, one by one, sorting them into piles by color as she went along. (She LOVED this...guess she has my "giddy for organization" gene...or maybe just she thought it was fun making the HUGE mess on the floor) After the piles were formed, it was a snap putting them back on the shelves in color order (who doesn't love a little Roy G. Biv?) I'll admit, I was a little hesitant to depart from the original "in order by height" configuration...but so far, it hasn't bugged me, and it has worked to my advantage. N completely GETS this arrangement. She understands where to put her books back when she's finished with them, and best of all...she LIKES her books this way! (They've stayed pretty well just like this for over a month. And in case you're curious, the unsorted stack on the top shelf are her Bible storybooks...I didn't want to forget/lose any in the mix, so they got their own stack)
Fun activity, and, according to Likely Classroom, a great way to help sharpen differentiation skills, and color recognition. (Oh, and if you're still humming "The Rainbow Connection" to yourself later today, sorry 'bout that...it is a bit catchy!)
2 comments:
I love the colored bookshelves. I may have to try that with Isaiah. He would love it. Jude, on the other hand, would quickly destroy it but it would be a fun activity to keep doing!
I tried organizing Aidan's books this way and it didn't last long. She's a "leave the books she likes on the nightstand" kind of gal...just like her mom. I get very precariously tall stacks on my nightstand and so does she. Oh well, like mother, like daughter, huh? :)
Post a Comment