I'd been wanting to work on writing upper and lower case letters with N, so I decided to pull out a trick from my personal memory of elementary school. 1 unassembled card table+ 1 bottle of shaving cream= good times!
While she's posing in the first picture, I loved Norah's expression when I whipped out the can of Barbasol. It looked something like, "What in the world are you going to do with THAT?" And then when I informed her that SHE got to use it, her expression changed to one that seemed to convey, "Seriously? Me? In THIS house?"
She definitely enjoyed herself, and had a lot more fun practicing her letters than she seems to when we just go old school (pencil and paper)
The only downsides for me were 1) the mess factor (which, honestly was pretty minimal...but still a little more work than throwing away a sheet of paper) and 2)the short lifespan of the shaving cream. It definitely needed to be "refreshed" after about 2-3 swipes, so it was hard not to feel a little wasteful ( even if the whole can did cost less than $1). Then again, I guess it's no different than spending money on blowing bubbles, and it's all for the sake of learning, so no harm no foul, right?
5 comments:
Cool idea! The 2nd picture looks like she's writing J.O.N. =)
Love this idea! Oh the possibilities with shaving cream.
What a cool AND educational mom you are!! I'm definitely taking mental notes!
hey angela, thanks always for sharing your great ideas. i am sitting here playing "tea party" with cailyn, and it made me think i just needed to go ahead and ask you...what other felt food do you make? cailyn ADORES everything my mom got from you, and i want to buy some more from you for a christmas gift to cailyn. we have the sandwhich/chip/dessert set, the pb&j sandwhich, and 4 donuts. i am interested in the cupcakes, tea bags, and breakfast food i saw on your other website. do you make anything else in addition to what is on there? i totally should have emailed this to you...oh well. feel free to email me if that's easier. thanks! take care. -alison thompson
I love her face in that first picture! I remember doing this "way back when" - I bet she had fun!
Post a Comment