
This week's 13 is a list of things that Jason and I have enjoyed together. Some of my favorite memories have stemmed from these times of "Recreational Companionship", that remind me how thankful I am to have married my best friend.
- Softball---the first few years we were married we played co-ed softball both on city teams and a church team (my favorite--Man! I miss that--I think our team was dead last, but we had more fun) When we ran out of co-ed teams to play with, Jason joined an all-guys team, and I go along and keep the book--not quite as much fun as playing, but still pretty fun.
- Worship--I love that Jason and I are able to worship together every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night at church. It is such a blessing to be able to hold hands when we pray, and to hear his voice when we sing. I love that Norah will have the memory of us going to church as a family.
- Snorkling--We experienced this for the first time on our honeymoon in Cancun. It was far and away the coolest outting we had. We saw baracudas close-up, along with lots of coral and exotic fish. It was so beautiful...we've both said we'd love the chance to do it again.
- Harry Potter--These were the first books Jason and I ever read together. It started when we were newlyweds and didn't have much money for entertainment. Jason has read all 6 exisiting HP books to me, and we've really enjoyed them together. We're anxiously anticipating the release of the 7th and final book, but it will be bittersweet for it to end.
- The Legend of Zelda--I know, we're big dorks. This was, yet another of our newlywed low budget pass-times. Jason would do the actual playing of the game (its a video game on Nintendo 64, in case you're too cool to know that), but I watched every minute of it, and served as his "spotter". I still maintain that "The Legend of Zelda" is the greatest game ever made.
- Disc Golf--We got sucked into this "way funner than it sounds" passtime a couple of years ago, when we were introduced to it by our good friends, Scott & Sara Nickson. Some of my happiest recreational companionship memories involve Jason and I rushing home from work to get a quick round of DG in before Wednesday night church. (We used to have the world's best park 2 blocks from our house, but some crotchity people in the neighborhood had it taken it without even asking everyone how they felt about it)
- Kite Flying--We haven't been on a kite flying date in ages, but they were so much fun! We bought our first kites while we were dating, in college. They were the plastic, $2 jobs from Wal-mart, and we flew the way out of them! (I remember we skipped Chemistry one blustery day...ahhhh, memories) We don't have our original kites anymore (his Buzz Lightyear took out my Winnie the Pooh in a nasty kite fight that he and his brother indulged in, unbeknownst to me at the time), but we did buy a fancy "real" kite (no plastic) on our first anniversary at South Padre Island.
- The Inheritance Trilogy--Another book series that Jason & and are in the middle of reading together. We've read the first two and are waiting for the release of the third. (We both agreed the other day that next series we read needs to be a finished one...but then again, the anticipation is half the fun!) Its been especially fun reading these because they're fantasy, and they're adolescent books--so the "kid" in Jason really comes out. (Though, he'll be the first to tell you, that the kid in him is never fully supressed, anyhow)
- Going to the Movies...at Home--We are definately the pass on the theater, rent it when it comes out on DVD type of movie-goers (except for the occassional blockbuster release that you just have to see on the big screen). We have a pretty extensive dvd collection (both old and new), and we like watching new movies as they come out. One of my favorite "dates" is cuddling on the couch in front of a good movie.
- Cooking--Most nights I try to have dinner at least close to ready when Jason gets home...but on the occassion that we're entertaining, we usually tag-team it. My favorite meal that we cook together is fajitas. It has LOTS of sides and it is so helpful to have an extra pair of hands in the kitchen. I think the reason I enjoy cooking with Jason so much now, is that we've come so far at it. When we were first married, I couldn't hardly stand to share the kitchen (granted, we're in a little bigger kitchen than we were in our first apartment), but now, we're learned how to work
- Snowboarding and Skiing--Jason and I have been every year since 1999. His brother and sister-in-law used to live in Salida, CO, so we would take a trip up to see them, and enjoy the slopes at Monarch Pass. We both learned (Jason to snowboard, me to ski) the same year, so we're on pretty much the same skill level, and we have loved every memory we have made--from riding the lift together, to taking our first "jump", to the biggest "yard sale" you've ever seen! Now that Grant and Paige have moved back to Texas, we'll have to come up with another excuse to go to Colorado so we can play.
- Teaching Bible Hour--Jason and I taught the kindergarten Children's Bible Hour together at the A&M Church for three consecutive years. We loved getting to know our classes and working with them to help them learn the 15 Judges, the 12 sons of Jacob, and the 10 Commandments. (We used the same songs to teach them that Jason and I grew up learning at the Central Church of Christ, in Bryan) We were always so amazed at how quickly the kids could learn, and how much they could retain. Those three years were truly a blessing to us, and I hope that some day we will be able to teach together again.
- Norah-Watching--probably our most favorite passtime of late. We never tire of looking at our beautiful baby. She is a source of constant delight for both of us.
1 comment:
WOW! Love the details... I used to be one of "those" that thought kite flying was for the weak. Only to find out, that it takes skill and patience (two of which I am lacking) to fly. Karl has hooked me and we in turn have since purchased two nice kites and a trick kite. It has been fun and it is a cheap past time once you get the purchase out of the way. Thanks for sharing. I, also enjoy having Karl beside me while we worship!
Post a Comment