Ike has come and gone, leaving us with more than a few fallen limbs, but thankfully also with our power and water supply as well as a revitalized crop of healthy, green St. Augustine.Norah and I spent nearly 45 minutes running broken branches and sticks to the curb on Monday, but we were left with one, massive branch too long for us to move without another adult or two. Honestly, Norah has loved playing on it so much, I wouldn't be surprised if a few tears were shed when it meets its final resting place (presuming that it isn't the same as it's current resting place). Any guesses as to what she's pretending in the picture above? I'll give you a couple minutes to work it out...

Perhaps the best benefit of being on the fringes of Ike (and please note that I am fully aware that there are so many people without power, water, and even homes--and our prayers are with you--I'm simply trying to be thankful for the blessings that I can account for) has been the drop in temperature. We're experiencing days that are eerily similar to fall...in September! So to celebrate, we had a backyard picnic.
Norah practiced some of her wrestling holds on Eli...
I think she's trying to work him into a full Nelson here... (and no, I'm not really that knowledgeable of wrestling terminology, I consulted Jason for accuracy)
Eli was soon-after disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct (ie--biting)...he didn't take too kindly to this decision, so I let him pin me, so he could feel like he was he was the winner. (Male egos, you know)
Ok, time's up...any guesses? While Eli and I were finishing up lunch on the blanket, Norah called to me from the tree branch, saying, "Look Mommy, I'm a PUPA!" (For those a little rusty on the life cycles of insects, "pupa" is the term for an insect's resting stage, more commonly known as a "chrysalis" or "cocoon" in the life of a butterfly) My response, "A Pupa? Supa Doopa!" (a la Noggin's "Wonderpets Save the Caterpiller") She was thrilled that I got her little joke. And I'm thrilled that she is just Norah.
6 comments:
that is the cutest pupa I have ever looked at! what sweet kidos
Ang-I LOVE the picture of Norah hugging Eli. THey are adorable. I love picnic pictures so much. Syd and I are going to the fair today to see animals and eat lunch. I'm so excited! I wish we were closer so we could take the kiddos.
A pupa?!?! That little 2 year old is smarter than me!!! I was thinking: "Monkey, ok no..she's hugging the branch, so maybe a Koala. Yes, definitely a Koala!!" Show's my limited thought process ;)
And yes, we have a name.. Brierley. But I feel weird calling her that without having seen her face yet, so I just call her B for short. :)
SO jealous yall are having nice fall-like weather!!
Can I just be the first to say that Norah is such a cutie! What fun! Wish we could have joined you for the picnic!
The onesies look great!!! :)
So fun. A picnic -- in South Texas -- in September...WOW!
I LOVE the picture of you and Eli, by the way.
Don't feel bad, Chels, I totally thought she was a Koala, myself until she corrected me. I mean, come on, a pupa? Most little girls are more interested in the beautiful butterfly!
Post a Comment