Thursday, August 23, 2007

R is for...

Red...My favorite color....though it took me half a lifetime to discover it. I remember on one of Jason's and my first dates (we were high school seniors), I asked him what his favorite color was, and he said "Blue" with no hesitation. He then preceded to ask me my favorite color, and I panicked. I had never had one...but I really wanted him to like me (so many potential relationships fail because of poor responses to "choice of favorite color?", you know), so I said, "Blue", too. About two years into our marriage, I noticed myself being drawn to red fabrics, jewelry, shoes, and then it hit me--I really like red!

Roar...Norah's has evolved! If you know our daughter well, you know that up until yesterday, her lion's "roar" sounded basically like a whispering of the word. But yesterday, she discovered a small, stuffed lion (courtesy of Jenny at our baby shower...remember, Jen?) in the depths of her toychest, and with that discovery, came the loudest "ROAR!" we've heard in Robinson County, to date. If you see her, she's very proud to demonstrate.

Robinson...I remember as a little girl asking my Memaw what would happen if I fell in love with a boy who had an awful last name, like "Girdlelump". Her sage reply was, "Well, sweetie, if you married him, your name would be Angela Girdlelump". That day I decided to only fall in love with boys with pretty last names, like "Butterfly". Granted, I never found any boys with Butterfly for a last name, but I really do love my married surname. I think it sounds just as good, if not better with my first name than my maiden name did.

Roses...call me cliche, but I still love them. Someday, I'd like to have a large bed of them growing in our backyard (the bushes aren't especially attractive when they're not blooming), just so I can cut them for vases and share them with friends and neighbors. Everyone likes getting roses, right? And I'm no exception, but despite it being my favorite color, red roses are my least favorite. For roses, I prefer softer shades, like pale pink or white.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not cheezy...I love roses too. :)

Anonymous said...

Just delurking to show my love for your surname (also my maiden name
:) Jennifer Robinson was a name to be proud of ;)