Tuesday, June 17, 2008

From the Mouthes of Babes...

Norah has recently taken to referring to her bathing suit as her "swim soup". (Heavy emphasis on the "P" in "Soup") It's so funny every time she says it that we almost hate to correct her.

I purchased some pop-ice at the grocery store this morning. I let Norah put several in the freezer (in their liquid state) and explained to her that they would take a long time to get cold enough to freeze. (I believe my exact words were, "And if you take a good nap, they'll probably be ready to eat when you wake up!" Cheap tactic, I know, but it worked!) Naturally, we had to check on them several times throughout the day to see if they were "cold enough". Norah would take my hand and lead me to the freezer saying, "Check on the pop-eyes, Momma? See if they're cold enough?"

Finally, on a more sentimental note...Norah sang her first "grown-up" hymn in church, Sunday. For months, she's been loving "Days of Elijah" (or "Beholdy Comes", as she calls it). I have two versions on my iPod, which she requests just about every time we ride in the car ("Slow Beholdy Comes" and "Fast Beholdy Comes"...both of which, I might add, are the same tempo, however, she at least thinks that the instrumental version is faster). She even requests that we sing it at bedtime (and yes, usually she specifies "fast" or "slow") At any rate, this Sunday, we finally sang "Days of Elijah" in church. Norah's eyes lit up at the first words, and she stood up so proud and tall, and sang every, single word with the biggest grin you've ever seen in your life. I wont lie, I got choked up and cried a little. Seeing my own children, singing joyful praises by my side has been a lifelong dream of mine. It was a truly special moment. (I can vividly remember being a child and singing songs from memory in church, long before I could read, so it was a little surreal watching that come full-circle with my own daughter) Jason and I had to keep from giggling when the song ended and Norah shouted, "Sing it again!? Sing 'Beholdy Comes', again?" She was really sad that it was over. (So, naturally, we listened and sang it a couple more times on the way home!)

Oh, and she currently refers to the church song books that reside in the pews as, "Music Bibles".

7 comments:

Amy B. said...

cute girl.
i wish everyone (adults) showed that kind of excitement at church...i guess thats why jesus tells us to be like children. =)

Jenny said...

Oh, so sweet! I'd love to hear her sing... I bet it's precious!

Anonymous said...

Amen to that comment!

She is so sweet! Bella is starting to sing too and will throw in a word here or there she knows like "Jesus"...I can't wait to hear her sing a full song!

SheridanLeftwich said...

That is an AwEsoMe story!!! I love to hear my children sing in church, too. My eyes even water up, too.

Stephanie said...

That is so sweet. I love to watch and hear the kids sing. Jacob likes Blessed Be the Name. When it come on he will jump around the house singing.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing her sing 'days of elijah'! i wish i had been there to see her singing it in church! Maybe they'll sing it again this week when I come to town! :)

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Pop-eyes? I don't think I'll look at an ice pop the same way again.