Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Little Picasso

Ever since our trip to the Children's Museum, I've been wanting to revisit painting with Norah. Last week, I finally decided it was time. I bought some (very washable) paint, some poster board, and some painter's tape (thanks to my good friend, Jamie, who suggested it, to give Norah's masterpieces a nice, even white border.) The tape also served as a great way to anchor the picture down while she was working.


Her first attempt wound up being a big, army green blob of paint. (I know it still looks farily colorful in this picture,but trust me, when she finished, it was all a muddy green) Norah really enjoyed the feeling of the cold, gooey paint on her fingers, so i just let her go to town and enjoy herself.

When she was disappointed at the lack of color in her first painting, I suggested that she try painting with her fingers, rather than her palm, and to be careful not to mix her paints together. She caught on right away, and really enjoyed her new technique.








I kept stealing glances at her painted fingers. I don't know why, but it made me happy seeing her colorful, little hands, so I took a picture to help me remember.










She worked on her masterpiece for nearly an hour. I think I have found the perfect "project" for her when I'm working on dinner. She loved being in the kitchen with me, and thanks to another one of Jamie's brilliant suggestions (to set N up on an unassembled card table, covered with a vinyl table cloth), clean up was a breeze!

Norah was SO proud of her painting. It is currently on the fridge, and several times I've heard her admiring it, aloud, (when she thinks no one is listening) saying things like, "I paint so berry, berry well!" I can't wait to surprise her by framing it and hanging it in her bedroom. I think that will send her over the moon!

5 comments:

erin said...

OK, that's a great idea. I can learn a lot from all you creative types. I need to try that myself.

Amy B. said...

Fun! I love her facial expression in the 3rd picture (at least what you can see)...that's major concentration! =}

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! And I love her apron. So cute!

said...

TOTALLY stealing this idea.

BTW, my mom just loved E-Why. She thought he was just precious and looks just like you. I think she's ready for a grandson. ;)

Sara Nickson said...

Great idea! You are such a fun, loving mom! It's great "watching" the kids play.